Friday, January 6, 2012

Mark

A couple of weeks ago, our cellgrp was doing the chapter of Mark, and I found the following verses intriguing. I had wanted to write down immediately, but well, we sometimes get so caught up with our non-important daily activities that we neglect what's truly important

Mark Chaper 10
The Request of James and John
 35 Then James and John, the sons of Zebedee, came to him. “Teacher,” they said, “we want you to do for us whatever we ask.”
   36 “What do you want me to do for you?” he asked.
 37 They replied, “Let one of us sit at your right and the other at your left in your glory.”
   38 “You don’t know what you are asking,” Jesus said. “Can you drink the cup I drink or be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with?”
 39 “We can,” they answered.
   Jesus said to them, “You will drink the cup I drink and be baptized with the baptism I am baptized with, 40 but to sit at my right or left is not for me to grant. These places belong to those for whom they have been prepared.”
 41 When the ten heard about this, they became indignant with James and John. 42 Jesus called them together and said, “You know that those who are regarded as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. 43 Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 44 and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. 45 For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
Blind Bartimaeus Receives His Sight
 46 Then they came to Jericho. As Jesus and his disciples, together with a large crowd, were leaving the city, a blind man, Bartimaeus (which means “son of Timaeus”), was sitting by the roadside begging. 47 When he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to shout, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!”
 48 Many rebuked him and told him to be quiet, but he shouted all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!”
 49 Jesus stopped and said, “Call him.”
   So they called to the blind man, “Cheer up! On your feet! He’s calling you.” 50 Throwing his cloak aside, he jumped to his feet and came to Jesus.
   51 “What do you want me to do for you?” Jesus asked him.
   The blind man said, “Rabbi, I want to see.”
   52 “Go,” said Jesus, “your faith has healed you.” Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus along the road.

My thoughts:
- Throughout the bible, we've seen many examples of Jesus creating the many miracles in the lives of the common folk, the poor, the marginalised. Simlarly in the story of the blind man, Jesus asked him simply what is his wish, and by a command of his words, his sight is healed, completely (verse 52). This is just many examples of the miracles that He has created while He was a man on earth. And sometimes what we lack, is faith. If we believe, God will grant.
- However, when we look at the requests of James and John, then why did Jesus say no? Why didn't Jesus reply in a one sentence command and grant his disciples their wish? This was actually pointed out by one of the cell member, and I found it curious as to why, Jesus, with his almighty powers, said NO.
- It just shows how we say NO to our children at times, and God replies to us in the same ways: Yes, No, Not Yet. And we have to trust Him, just like our kids trust us to make the best decisions for us. It's just like if today, Joy asked to hit her classmate, I would say NO! Becoz that is not the right thing to do. And God said No to his disciples too, because it is not in His plans. But we also see God saying Yes, when he performs the miracles to the common folk. I also felt his answers of Not yet, in the intial years of TTC.
- And then, you might ask, how do I know what God's answer is? My answer is simply, Pray. Pray for the Holy Spirit to guide us, Read the word for God is the word and no doubt, He will set challenges for us. But He will also set challenges, He know that we will be capable enough to accomplish. Seek Him, with all our heart and soul, and He will be with Us.

Just my personal thoughts and wanna record down, before I forgets them completely.. haha... 

No comments: