Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Daydreaming

A client text me yday to inform me that she would b made redundant from 30/11. I wasn't shocked bcoz her firm had a few retrenchment exercise even prior to covid. Both of us had factored that in our yrly reviews. But still, when the news came, it still came as a shock to us. 

We arranged a zoom this morning. My objective was to comfort her as well as alleviate any of her fears about financial difficulties etc. Her family was worried for her. After all, she is the sole breadwinner, with her #1 in uni and #2 in poly. She is also a cancer survivor, having to still do the regular check ups etc. 

I did the professional part. Finances wise, her funds would be able to tide her for 2 yrs even if she has zero income. And even after 2 yrs, there are some plans that we have, which can b liquidated if she remains unemployed. Thats the worse case scenario. If she can't find any job - zero income. 

I went on to other aspects. Since this is a fresh start, then why not explore other areas of work? Why not explore a job that she is passionate abt, even if the pay might b a fraction of what she is drawing now. We went thru a few sectors etc. She is v optimistic and on the move. After hearing the news yday, she had already send out news to the recruiters and some of her work contacts as well as her GP coz she might wanna explore going into healthcare. I told her that she should consider being a healthcare ambassador coz her heart is brimming with kindness and compassion to the elderly and sick. I really hope she gets a job that she enjoys, n can look forward to. 

She asked what would I do, if i wasn't a financial adviser, which sets me thinking too. After all, I havent found something that I'm as passionate abt as what I'm doing now. So I decided to take the afternoon to think abt the things that I would want to do. 

1) study law 
- when I was little, I aspired to b a lawyer. But as the years go by, with cmi grades, I scrapped that dream even before I enter JC. Perhaps i could do a full time degree in law, even if no one will hire me as a lawyer..hahah.. 

2) be a counsellor 
- I told J that i had wanted to b a counsellor in the early yrs of my career, bcoz I was always enjoying the chit chat / counselling sessions I had when my friends had problems that they couldn't solve. But J says that bcoz Im a high S person, I probably end up feeling so much abt the people's challenging situations that I will end up lending them monies if that could solve their immediate problems πŸ˜…

3) Do other sales? 🀷‍♀️
- mayb I can go sell the cupping packages if I'm really retrenched..hahaha.. coz i probably referred more people there than them getting insurance from me..hahaha 

Its nice to dream once in a while..writing these down so that when I decided not to do what I'm doing now, I can re-visit this again. Hahaha.. i really am excited with 1). Perhaps i could use myskills future credits to pay for some modules and see how it goes.. hahaha

No comments: